It is this one..where President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama (then..he was just a candidate) recall their very first date. And the way he looked at her...my goodness...makes you melt.
First off...the man remembers EVERY detail of the date. How many men remember their first date almost 20 years ago??? Heck..some can't remember the date from the night before! I bet if you asked him what she wore, he could recall that too. Mercy!
Secondly, he was schoolin' dudes on how to do a first date right. That man breaks it down w/o really saying it. I got the following from him:
- A Date does NOT have to be expensive: they went for Ice cream, they saw a movie, they looked at art at a museum at the Art Inst (which is free btw...) then they ended the night with a drink. Simple.
- Talking is important: The Obamas talked all night and much of the conversation Mr. Obama still recalls.
- Plan and Execute: Mr. Obama took the ENTIRE DAY for Mrs. Obama.He made time. He blocked out his schedule. He didn't text her taumbout "So you wanna fall through?" No ma'am! No sir! That man made TIME for this woman.
- Show some personality: Mr. Obama made sure the future Mrs. Obama saw all sides of him. As she points out "he was sensitive, cultural, patient.....". That made Mr. Obama smile from deep within.
- Don't try and be all frisky on the first date: While we all know Mr. Obama is a hunk of a man, he is quick to say he had an incredible kiss with Mrs. Obama and she "tasted like Chocolate".........(they had ice cream, remember?? *swoons*)
See fellas...a great date isn't about how much cash you spend...or how "ballin" or big you do it. Ladies...it isn't about the fancy spot he takes you to. Did he open your car door? Did he wait for you when you got up from the table? Did he listen and smile and engage??? THESE are the markers of a great first date.
A great first date....It is about time, effort and execution. It is about making the other person genuinely feel special, at any cost. It's about showing the real you out of the gate and allowing a person in your space. That is what a great first date is about....